+ TVhorsetalk: Back From Katy...

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Back From Katy...


If you're a first time reader, I'm a first time horse owner using Clinton Anderson's training methods to train me in handling my horse.  After an incident last November I'm seeking to gain control on the ground and re-gain confidence in the saddle using his techniques.  Look back to the first few posts to see how Max and I got to this point...

BACK FROM KATY...

I’m really glad I made the trip to Katy, Texas, and I had a great time Saturday and Sunday at Clinton Anderson’s Walkabout Tour.  I enjoyed two days of horses, horses, horses.  I got a refresher on what it looks like, live, to do the exercises the right way.   Most of all, I got an infusion of inspiration and energy which will keep me enthused about making steady progress both on the ground and in the saddle.  So, my goals for the trip were definitely accomplished.
Clinton used his Downunder Horsemanship techniques to solve different types of problems on local horses.  He did it using direct instruction, clear physical demonstration, and flavored it with lots of humor.  He reached his training goal each time. 
Boo-coos of prizes were given away. 
I enjoyed looking at all the products during the breaks.  (I made a couple of purchases.)  I didn’t experience, or hear, any high-pressured sales going on.  I did experience, and hear, sales people answering questions about products.  They were all knowledgeable about the products, all helpful, all nice.
I observed Mr. Anderson as he talked with the folks during breaks.  He was polite and generous with his time.  He stayed after his show on Saturday and Sunday evenings as long as it took to get to everyone in the long line who wanted to speak with him.
Even I stood in that Sunday afternoon line.  (I’ve never stood in line to talk with a presenter.  But I really wanted him to know how well he was training me.)  He politely listened to my longer-than-short story and smiled and encouraged me to stay with it.   Very nice.
All in all, I’m glad I went...

Have a good ride
Greenhorn

No comments:

Post a Comment